Donated to the Town by L.L. Bean, Gorman Park has a short (<.5 mile) loop trail, picnic tables, a covered picnic pavilion, a grassy area, and a small ice skating area. It is a lovely place for a quick stroll or picnic lunch and is within easy walking distance of Main Street. Some portions of the trail are very steep—strollers and bikes are not recommended. Dogs must be on a leash and pet waste must be collected and carried out. Directions: Parking for Gorman Park is available in lots off School and Bow Streets near downtown Freeport.
Public access to the Harraseeket River is available via a ramp for hand-carried boats. The landing can accommodate small boats at roughly mid-tide and above. Trailered boats can be launched at Town ramps at Porter’s Landing and Winslow Park. Directions: Landing and parking areas are off Bow Street, just after the intersection with Lower Mast Landing Road.
This 35-acre town-owned preserve has 1.5 miles of wooded trails that pass by vernal pools, an old apple orchard, and the site of the former E.B. Mallet granite quarry. Directions: Follow Bow Street from downtown Freeport, and turn right onto Lower Mast Landing Road. A trailhead is located approximately .3 mile south, on the right by a woodchip pile. During non-school hours, the Woods may also be accessed from Mast Landing School on Bow Street. At the back of the School parking lot, visitors should pass the pond to the left to find a trail.
Maine Audubon’s Mast Landing Sanctuary is 140 acres of diverse habitat and includes three miles of trails that wind along a stream and through orchards, fields and forest. The foundation of an old mill is visible where Mill Stream empties into the Harraseeket estuary. The name “Mast Landing” dates to the early 1700’s when the British Navy sought ship masts made from the massive white pines then growing in southern Maine forests. The sanctuary is open to the public, dawn to dusk, year-round. Dogs are not permitted. Directions: From Main Street in Freeport, follow Bow Street for one mile. Turn left onto Upper Mast Landing Road. The Sanctuary is just up the hill on the right.
Owned and stewarded by Freeport Historical Society, historic Pettengill Farm features 140 acres of woodlands and fields bordered by the tidal Harraseeket River. The saltbox farmhouse was built c.1810 by Aaron Lufkin with the longest period of ownership by the Pettengill family. Occupied until about 1970, it remains in its original state with no electricity or plumbing. The site offers four walking trails of varying length and difficulty. Visitors are invited to enjoy the grounds dawn to dusk every day of the year. Dogs are not permitted. Directions: From Main Street in Freeport head down Bow Street for 1.4 miles. Turn right on Pettengill Road. Park by the welcome sign and walk-in to the farm, approximately 12 minutes.
At this lovely 44-acre preserve, start your walk at the kiosk next to the orchard. The red, yellow and blue trails, which are loosely marked by colored arrows, loop through the woods to the west, go down to the marsh in the center, and along the shore of the Harraseeket to the east. Tidebrook is open during daylight hours spring, summer and fall. Pets are not allowed.
Directions: From Route 1 by the Freeport Public Safety Building, turn east onto West Street. West Street becomes Torrey Hill Range Road, which runs over a steep hill, and then becomes Bartol Island Road after it crosses Lower Mast Landing Road. Follow Bartol Island Road, continuing for 0.25 mile after the pavement ends. Park on the left before some tall cedars.